Labour market grows as skill shortage increases

ZGM DAILY

2018-02-14 09:01 GMT+8

According to the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection, demand for construction workers is expected to increase in 2018. In an estimate, approximately 25 percent of new jobs will be in the construction sector, followed by retail stores and processing factors. Ministry of Labour and Social Protection reports that around 76.4 thousand new workplaces, which is 5.5 percent higher than the previous year, will be created this year.

Approximately 76.4 percent of the workplaces is expected to be created in the first half of the year, while the remaining 23.6 percent is expected in the second half. Furthermore, a majority of the 20 highest demanded jobs consisted of no diploma.

Labour market grows as skill shortage increases No diploma GED jobs trending in labour market 

Trending jobs for higher education this year are expected to be accountant, construction and gas pipe engineers.

As for the skilled labour market, demand for plasterers, security officers, tailors, pharmacists, janitors, cooks, carpenters, electricians, telecommunication operators and drivers have been increased.

As for no diploma jobs, increased number of workplaces are expected to be created for construction assistants, production, farm and store assistants, janitors, washers and waiters.

16.7 percent of the high in demand workplaces will be for women and 50.8 percent will be for men, while 32.5 percent will be non-gender. The private sector alone is providing almost 90 percent of these workplaces.

Considering the supply and demand of jobs, the number is still low. Job demand in Mongolia has been fluctuating between 70-80 thousand in the last five years. However, the unemployment rate is forecasted to be increased in the next two years. According to an estimate, the unemployment, which is currently at 9.1 percent, is expected to hit 10.1 percent in 2018 and 2019. While the public is having trouble finding a job, the private entities are unable to recruit qualified staff. For instance, private entities faced a challenge of 10.9 thousand employee shortage last year.

The study shows that worker shortage is highest in retail trade, car maintenance services, processing plants, construction and real estate services, hotel, accommodation and public food sectors.

This means that the education institutions is not coordinating with the demand. For instance, students have been pursuing the mining sector in recent years. Back in 2012 and 2013 when the economic growth was high, mining workers were in high demand; however, the profession was not included on the top 20 list this year.

A total of 16.8 thousand workplaces will be created in the construction sector this year, while mining industry will create only 2 thousand works. But the number is expected to increase in 2019 and decline again between 2020 and 2030.

Tugsbilig.B 

GoGo Facebook Page
 
 

Go to top